Chapter 4-31 The Third Task
- Harry tells Ron and Hermione about all the things he saw in the Pensieve.
They speculate intensely about everyone Harry had seen.
- Ron and Hermione help Harry prepare for the third task, practicing
charms and hexes like the Impediment Jinx. Professor McGonagall
gives Harry permision to practice in the Transfiguration classroom.
He also practices the Reductor Curse, used to blast solid
objects out of the way, and the Four-Point Spell, used to make a wand
point north. Harry still has difficulties with the Shield Charm, creating a temporary invisible
wall to deflect curses. Hermione manages to shatter it with a Jelly-Legs
Jinx. They see Malfoy outside
speaking in his hand as though he was using a walkie-talkie.
- Harry receives another letter from Sirius telling him to be careful.
- The day of the third task arrives. Hermione receives her copy of the
Daily Prophet. It has an article about
Harry by Rita Skeeter, speculating about
Harry's health and saneness, stating that his scar regularly hurts.
Malfoy told her that Harry can speak Parseltongue and Skeeter doubts whether
Harry won't end up in Dark Arts. They wonder again how she could have
known all these things. Hermione has a sudden hunch.
- Professor McGonagall tells Harry that he, Krum, Fleur and Cedric are requested in the Hall
after breakfast to see their family. The families of the Champions are
there, Amos Diggory and his wife, Krum's
parents, Fleurs parents and her sister Gabrielle. Mrs. Weasley and Bill have come to see Harry. Both studied
at Hogwarts and ask about Sir. Cadogan
and the Fat Lady. Mrs. Weasley tells them
she was once caught by Apollyon Pringle, the caretaker in
those days. They take a walk through the castle. Mrs. Weasley tells
Harry Percy is under a lot of strain
concerning Mr. Crouch's disappearance and Mr. Fudge will replace him in the
judging at night.
- At night the judges takes their seats at the staff table; Fudge, Bagman,
Dumbledore, Karkaroff and Madame Maxime. Dinner is served.
- The third task is about to start at the Quidditch pitch. Hagrid, Professor Moody, Professor McGonagall and Professor Flitwick
will be patrolling the outside of the maze. If anybody is into difficulties,
they have been instructed to send three sparks into the air and one
of the professors will come and get them out.
- Bagman amplifies his voice again with a ¤ Sonorus and announces the third task
of the Triwizard Tournament will
begin. Harry and Cedric enter first. Both use a ¤ Lumos to create some light and they
split up in different directions. After a while Krum and Fleur enter.
- Harry uses the Four-Point Spell ¤ Point
Me to orientate himself. He runs into Cedric who had an encounter
with Blast-Ended Skrewts which are enormous
by now. They split up again. Harry runs into a Dementor and uses the Patronus Charm ¤ Expecto Patronum on it. He realizes
it is a Boggart and uses a ¤ Riddikulus next.
- Next he runs into some odd golden mist. He tries to blow it out of
the way with a ¤ Reducto, but to no
effect. He hears Fleur yell, he takes the chance and tries to run through
the mist. The world turns upside-down, after a while he manages to get
- A Blast-Ended Skrewt turns up. He casts a ¤ Stupefy but it bounces on its armour.
Next he tries the Impediment Jinx ¤ Impedimenta but it also ricochets
off the armour. He tries again, this time the Skrewt freezes but just
temporarily. Harry runs.
- He hears Cedric asking "What are you doing" and next Krum's voice,
casting a ¤ Crucio. He tries to go there
to help Cedric but can't find the way. With a Reductor Curse he blows
a small hole in the hedge and goes through. Krum is standing over Cedric.
Then,seeing Harry, he runs away. Harry stuns him with a ¤ Stupefy
and helps Cedric up. They split up again.
- Harry meets a sphinx and has to solve a riddle.
- He continues and finally arrives at the open area with the Triwizard Cup. He sprints for it but
Cedric is also going for it. A giant Spider is in Cedric's path. Cedric just lost
his wand. Harry speeds to help, casting a ¤ Stupefy at the spider.
It's no use, the spider is too big, and he's caught by its legs and
lifted up. Cedric also is yelling ¤ Stupefy. Harry tries an ¤
Expelliarmus and it works. The Disarming Charm makes the spider drop
him. Both of them cast another ¤ Stupefy at the same time and
the spider keels over sideways.
- Harry's leg is bleeding. Both think the other should get the Cup.
They end up taking it together. The moment they take the handle, their
feet leave the ground and they're pulled onwards by the Cup.