Chapter 6-17 A Sluggish Memory
- Harry, Ron and Ginny return to Hogwarts through the Floo Network, where they meet again with Hermione. Hermione has a scroll from Dumbledore for Harry with the date of his next private meeting. They talk about Draco and Greyback and Scrimgeour.
- Apparition lessons are announced and the three sign up. Seamus tells about his cousin Fergus who apparates to annoy him. Ron tells the others Harry already once did a Side-Along-Apparation.
- Harry goes to his private meeting with Dumbledore, the Pensieve already waiting on his desk. They talk about Harry's meeting with Scrimgeour. Dumbledore had already denied Scrimgeour meeting with Harry, that is why they had an argument which was mentioned in the Daily Prophet. Scrimgeour accused Harry of being 'Dumbledore's man though and through' and Harry tells Dumblore he had replied he was. Dumbledore looks slightly emotional, Fawkes lets out a soft cry.
- Dumbledore says Srimgeour sent Dawlish to follow him to find out what he has been doing when leaving the school. He already had to jinx Dawlish twice.
- Harry tells Dumbledore about Snape and Draco. Dumbledore puts it off as not being of great importance. He has understood everything Harry told him and maybe even more then Harry does, but nothing which causes him disquiet.
- Dumbledore tells Harry about the events and life of Tom Riddle when he was a student at Hogwarts. Dumbledore tried to give Tom Riddle a chance but never took it for granted that he was trustworthy. Riddle gathered a group of supporters during his days at Hogwarts, the forerunners of the Death Eaters. He has not been able to find many memories from those days, the ones he obtained showed Riddle was obsessed with his parentage. When he found out his father was never a wizard he started investigating his mother's family and assumed the identity of Lord Voldemort.
- In the memory they watch they go back to the Gaunts' house and see Tom Riddle meeting his uncle Morfin. Morfin is wearing Marvolo's black-stoned golden ring. Both speak in Parseltongue. Morfin tells Riddle about the death of Mr Gaunt and about Tom Riddle's father who left his mother Merope and stealing her gold locket. Voldemort moves forward and an unnatural darkness falls, and at that point Harry and Dumbledore leave the memory. Morfin could not remember anything after that and waking up the next moring Marvolo's ring was gone. Meanwhile Tom Riddle Senior and his mother and father wer found dead in Little Hangleton. Morfin was framed by Voldemort and blamed for the murders, Morfin admitted on the spot due to false memories implanted by Voldemort, and spent the rest of his life in Azkaban. Dumbledore only managed to get the memory with a great deal of skilled Legilimency in the last week of Morfin's life.
- In the next memory they see a meeting of Slughorn and his club, including Tom Riddle. Riddle is wearing Marvolo's gold and black ring. Riddle is asking if Professor Merrythought is retiring. Slughorn is surprised with Riddle's knowledge of that. Then the room suddenly turns a white fog. They hear Slughorn's voice ' - you'll go wrong, boy, mark my words'. And then the fog clears. The meeting is over. Among the students are also Lestrange (R or R) and Avery. Before leaving Riddle asks Slughorn about what he knows about Horcruxes. At that moment the fog appears and dissappears again and hear Slughorn's voice claiming he does not know anything about it and sending Riddle away.
- Dumbledore explains the fog means the momory has been tampered with, modified by Slughorn himself. Harry's homework is trying to get Slughorn offering the original unmodified memory to them. Dumbledore says Legilimency or Veritaserum won't work. Phineas Nigellus doesn't see why Harry should do better then Dumbledore himself. Fawkes lets out another low cry.