Some of the differences between film and book
- Dudley and Aunt Petunia are supposed to be blond but in the movie
they both have dark hair.
- In the film, outside the Dursley's house you can see the shadow of
Professor McGonagall turn from a cat into her human shape. In the book
Professor Dumbledore speaks to the cat, turns around and instead of
the cat there's a woman.
- In the film at the Zoo, after the glass from the snake-cage disappears
and Dudley falls in, the glass returns and Dudley is locked inside.
In the book Dudley has his friend with him, who first alerts Dudley
to the change in the snakes behaviour. Dudley does not fall in with
the snake. In the book a deeply shocked Zookeeper keeps wondering 'where
did the glass go?' and a confused Zoo director keeps apologising for
the vanished glass - it obviously didn't reappear.
- In the book, Dudley's best friend Piers Polkiss also goes with them
to the zoo and tells uncle Vernon Harry talked to the snake, in the
film he's not there.
- In the book, Harry and the Dursley's stay in a hotel, while in the
movie they go straight to the island.
- Hagrid explains that he wrote away to Harry's parents friends to get
the pictures (which took time). In the movie this is not explained.
- In the book Harry learns about Voldemort and his parents real death
at the dursleys when Harry first meets Hagrid, in the movie Hagrid tells
him when they are eating dinner.
- In the book, Harry has to wait another month or so before going to
Hogwarts after meeting Hagrid. In the film, it happens the same day.
- In Diagon Alley, in the Leaky Cauldron Harry speaks only with Professor
Quirrel. In the book Harry meets several people.
- In the book, Quirrel shakes Harry's hand when they meet. In the movie,
he doesn't, and it's explained later that he can't because of the energy
left by Harry's mother's love.
- In the film in the Leaky Cauldron Professor Quirrel is wearing a turban.
In the book Quirrell is not wearing the turban, as he has not yet failed
to steal the stone from Gringott's
- In the film, it is Harry himself who mentions the Dursleys don't know
wizards are not allowed to do magic in the muggle world. In the book
it's Hagrid who mentions this.
- In the book Hagrid mentions to Harry he has one more thing to do which
is to buy Harry a birthday present and buys it when Harry is with him.
In the film Hargid takes him by surprise with the owl after the wand
- In the book Hagrid is accompanying Harry in Olivanders, but in the
book he is off buying Harry a birthday present.
- In the book Harry meets Malfoy first in Diagon Alley at Madam Malkin's
Robes for All Occasions store, in the film Harry meets him first at
- In the film, when Harry is trying wands at Ollivander's, he 'messes
up boxes from the shelves' and 'explodes something', in the book he
just holds them and nothing happens. When finally he finds his wand,
in the book the wand emits gold and red sparks, in the film it's more
- While trying wands, in the book Hagrid is with him, in the film he's
- In the film, Hermione comes into Harry and Ron's compartment looking
for Neville Longbottom's toad, Trevor. In the book, Neville stops in
first, and Hermione comes in later.
- In the film, one of the chocolate frogs escapes from the train window.
That doesn't happen in the book.
- In the book Harry finds out about Nicholas Flamel for the first time
on the train on the back of the chocolate frog container when it says,
Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel are partners but in the movie Harry first
finds out about Nicholas Flamel when Hermione reads him the book. Only
in the special added seens at the end of the movie does the fact that
harry had heard and read about Nicholas Flamel before the book Hermione
- In the film, Hermione fixes Harry's glasses on the way to Hogwarts.
In the book, she doesn't.
- In the book, the students are being sorted alphabetically by last
name. In the movie, it was not in order.
- In the film the Bloody Baron does not really fit the description from
- In the film, the Sorting Hat talks out loud and stays on top of Harry's
head, in the book the Hat goes over his eyes and he hears the small
voice of the hat in his ear.
- In the movie after Harry is sorted in to his house, he sits down by
Ron, but when the feast begins he is sitting in between Percy, and Hermonie.
- In the book, the ghosts entered the Great Hall before the students
were sorted, not after, when they were eating.
- In the film, it shows the stairs of Hogwarts moving, in the book it
doesn't directly say they do.
- Both Snape and Flitwick are supposed to take roll call at the beginning
of duel-classes, in the film this does not happen.
- In the book Malfoy tricks Harry into a wizards duel and that is how
they all end up in the Trophy room, in the film Harry is lead there
- The film shows that the reason Harry, Ron and Hermione come across
the forbidden door on the 3rd floor is due to the stair case moving,
but in the book they come across the room during the night, after Draco
doesn't show up for the duel, and Filch is onto them, and Neville is
also with them when they 'bump' into fluffy.
- In the book Neville is with them when they first see the three headed
dog, in the film he is not.
- In the film, Harry catches Neville's remembrall in front of Professor
McGonagall's window and she sees it. In the book, he catches it in a
dive while it's falling to the ground.
- In the book Harry already gets the Nimbus, ordered by Professor McGonagall,
before he is introduced to Quidditich. In the film the opposite happens.
- In the books, Hagrid's hut was wooden. In the movie it's stone.
- In the book, the sandy haired boy Seamus Finnigan asks how nearly
headless Nick can be nearly headless. Whereas in the film, it is Hermione
who asks the same question.
- In the film, Mrs. McGonagall changes from cat to woman in front of
her students right away in the first lesson. In the book, she doesn't.
In fact, she doesn't do so until the third book and is surprised that
her students, who didn't know until then that she's an animagi, aren't
stunned - until she finds out that Mrs. Trelawney had just predicted
Harry's ... <spoiler cut>
- In the book McGonagall has square glasses and her cat-self has square
markings around the eyes. In the film they are round and the cat has
no obvious eye markings.
- In the book, when Harry, Ron, and Hermione are outside, they light
a blue flame in a bottle and then Snape comes and they hide it behind
their backs. When Snape is gone Harry tells Ron and Hermione that Snape
was limping, and then later on finds out about his cut.
- In the book they receive their Christmas presents at the foot of their
beds, whereas in the movie, they all go down into the common room and
collect their presents from under a Christmas tree
- In the film, when Hermione remarks about the trapdoor beneath Fluffy's
feet, it's Ron who answers, that he'd been too busy watching out for
Fluffy's three heads to notice. In the book, this is Harry's part.
- In the book Professor Flitwick was teaching when Professor McGonagall
asked Wood to be excused, in the film it's Quirrell
- A girl that was put into Hufflepuff was later seen in Potions class
and the Griffendors take potions with the slythorins.
- In the book, when Hermione lights Snape's cape on fire, the flame
is blue. In the movie, the flame is orange
- In the film, Oliver Wood and Angelina Johnson are both beaten off
their brooms by the Slytherins during the Quidditch match. There is
no mention of this in the book (although there is foul play.)
- Harry sees a larger family in the mirror than just his parents
- In the film, Hagrid's dragon is sent to Romania by Professor Dumbledore,
in the book Harry and Hermione have it picked up from the roof by friends
- In the film, Harry, Ron and Hermione see the name of Harry's father
on an award, in the book this doesn't happen.
- JKR stated that James Potter was a chaser (source) but in the movie
on the award it says Harry's father is a Seeker.
- In the film Hermione tells Harry, his father's been a Quidditch player
himself. In the book this information comes from Professor McGonagall
- In the film they show only one Quidditch match. In the book, two matches
- In the film, Professor Dumbledore is present in the first match; in
the book he is absent.
- In the film Hagrid got the Fluffy from an Irish man, in the book from
a Greek man.
- In the film, Harry opens the package of his new broom at the table
in the Great Hall, in the book he waits till he's alone with Ron because
the note attached to it from Professor McGonagall tells him to.
- In the film, Harry sees Snape's hurt leg right after the troll. In
the book, Harry overhears Snape and Filch talking in Snape's office
about 'keeping your eyes on all three heads at once" and sees his
- I noticed that in the book it says that harry and ron lock the troll
in the girls bathroom, but in the movie the troll just walks in there.
- Troll scene. Harry wiped his wand on the troll's pants not on his
own robe, as it is shown in the movie.
- In the film, during Quidditch match against Slytherin, Hermione sets
fire to Snape's robe but doesn't knock accidentally into Professor Quirrel
on her way. In the book she does.
- In the film, Harry 'surfs' on his broom at the end of the match before
catching the snitch, in the book he doesn't.
- In the book, the invisibility cloak is 'fluid silvery', in the film
it's more dark iron-grey.
- In the film, in the restricted section of the library Harry drops
his light which Filch hears, in the book it's a book screaming which
attracts Filch's attention.
- In the film, right after leaving the Library, Harry "catches"
Snape talking to Quirrel, in the book Harry overhears them in the forest.
- In the book Norbert bites Ron and he has to go to Madam Pomfrey, in
the film this doesn't happen.
- In the film, Hermione finds Flamel's name in a book. In the book Harry
remembers the name from a Famous Wizard card.
- In the film, Malfoy tells McGonagall that Harry, Ron and Hermione
were outdoors at night. In the book they are caught by Filch and Malfoy
is caught by McGonagall.
- In the film, Ron also goes into the forest with Hagrid for detention,
in the book Ron is in the hospital wing when Norbert is moved and he
does not get detention at all.
- Ron was Never in the forest after bringing Norbert up the roof because
he was in the hospital wing.
- Draco returns after running away in the forbidden forest
- In the movie those who detention were Hermione, Harry, Ron and Malfoy
but in the book Neville Longbottom is also included inside the forbidden
forest Harry is paired up with Hermione and Hagrid while the other contains
Malfoy Neville and fang and Neville also produced the red sparks which
is a signal of danger then Hagrid paired Harry and Malfoy along with
- Ron and Hermoine were supposed to take Norbert to the tower, not Dumbledore.
- In the film they call the "forbidden forest", the "dark
- In the film, the 1 centaur appears, in the book 3 appear.
- In the forbidden forest Voldemort is alone but in the book Quirrel
was bending over letting Voldemort drink the unicorn blood.
- In the book Firenze the centaur lets Harry ride in his back, in the
film he doesn't
- In the film, Fluffy is already sleeping, in the book Harry uses Hagrid's
flute to make it sleep.
- In the book Hermione starts a fire to subdue the Devil's Snare, in
the film she uses a sunlight spell.
- In the film, Ron, Harry and Hermione get trapped with Devil's snare.
Harry and Hermione "fall through" and Hermione rescues Ron.
In the book only Harry and Ron get trapped and Hermione rescues the
- In the book, Quirrell says he sees himself with the stone and presenting
it to his master, in the film he just says he sees himself with the
- In the book Voldemorts face had snakelike slits for nostrels, in the
film he didn't.
- In the book it is described that Harry has green eyes like his mother.
In the film the colour of Harry's eyes differ from scene to scene.
- In the book Quirrel's skin blisters when he touches Harry's skin,
but in the movie it turns to stone and crumbles.
- In the book Harry passes out from the pain from his scar, but in the
movie he passes out because Voldemort's spirit passes through his body.
Scenes from the book, not shown in film
- Dudley's watch should be analogue.
- Neville should fall forward after the leg-locker curse.
- Percy should wear glasses.
- There should be no girls on the Slytherin team.
- There should be only 5 Gryffindor boys in Harry's year.
- The entrance to the great hall should be at the side of the room (in
book 4, Harry walked past the 3 other tables before reaching his own).
- It should be a portrait-hole, not portrait-door.
- The teams walked onto the Quidditch field, and not flew onto it.
- They should be taking charms and transfiguration without the other
- 6 owls delivered the nimbus, not one.
- The delivered nimbus should have knocked his bacon off.
- Snape's hair is supposed to be very greasy; in the scene where he
catches Harry, Ron, and Hermione "inside on a day like this",
it looks rather hygienic.
- In the book Mr. Dursley sees many people in cloaks on his way to work
and hears them whisper about someone's name, "Harry Potter"
and is very worried; in the movie there is no mention of any of this.
- In the film, Harry and the Dursleys go straight to the shack (if you
can call it that) on the rock in the middle of the ocean. In the book,
they travel around for a while, and even stay in a hotel, before heading
out to sea.
- in the movie they never showed the part when the weasley twins were
talking 2 their mum ("now this year i don't want any letters saying
you've, youve, blown up a toilet or sumthing! we've never blown up a
toilet. great idea though, thanx mum!)
- Piers Polkiss was supposed to go with the Dursleys and Harry to the
zoo, plus Harry was supposed to see a gorilla that resembled Dudley
and get a lemon ice pop.
- In the book, the morning after Hagrid turns up at the island, Hagrid
takes Harry. The morning of his birthday at the island is not in the
- In the book we see Lee Jordan showing his turantula to people, in
the film it's missing
- In the film they didn't include Fred and George as they helped Harry
get his trunk into the Hogwarts Express nor the fact that they noticed
his scar and telling their mother who 'the black haired boy is', nor
that they introduced themselves before they reached Hogwarts.
- In the book Harry read about Flamel in the famous witches and wizards
about Flamel in the film he just took a look at Dumbledore and never
read the back.
- In the book, the sorting hat sings a song before the sorting. There
is no such scene in the movie.
- In the book, we see 'all' students from Harry's year being sorted,
in the film this doesn't show.
- In the book, Peeves appears after dinner while going to their dormitories
the first time but in the film the he doesn't.
- There is no mentioning at all of Peeves in the film, but in the book
Peeves appears regularly.
- In the book Malfoy saw Harry's new broom and threaten him that he
would be expelled for sure.
- In the book Malfoy challenges Harry to a wizards duel, in the film
this doesn't happen.
- In the book, after Harry's first week of school, Hagrid sends Harry
a letter saying for him to come and see him after classes on Friday,
in the film, it did not show this.
- In the film, it never shows who sent Harry the Invisibility Cloak.
- In the book when Harry is in the trapdoor Harry goes into Quirrel's
room and is supposed to see a dead troll, in the film he doesn't.
- In the film, Hermione and Harry don't confront the potions-riddle,
in the book they do.
Other types of differences
- In the book Harry gets Dudley's second room, in the movie he didn't
get this room. When the second movie will be launched, people who have
not read book 1 may wonder how and when Harry got his own room
- In the film there is no explanation at all given as to why. Professor
Snape dislikes Harry Potter.
- In the film when the troll is unconscious in the bathroom, if you
look at Professor Quirell, you can notice that he has sideburns. Very
clear, dark brown, sideburns. However, at the end of the movie when
removing his turban, all of a sudden he's bald. I mean, MAYBE, Voldermort
told him to shave his head, perhaps because Quirell's hair was in Voldermort's
face, but I seriously doubt that.
- After he was sorted, Harry sat down at the table next to Ron. After
showing the food appear, Harry turns up between Percy and Hermione on
the other side of the table!
- Near the end of the troll scene when Hermione hides under a sink and
the troll smashes it - there is one sink between the broken sink and
the wall. Later, when Hermione comes out from under the sinks, you can
clearly see that there is about 4 sinks between the broken sink and
- First flying lesson, when Harry catches the Remembral - he comes back
down to the ground, and he is halfway thru a shadow when the camera
angle changes and the shadow is gone.
- When Harry gets the first letter - Uncle Vernon says "Yours?
Who'd be writing to you?", and Dudley is mouthing the words.
- Throughout the troll scene - there is something hanging behind Ron.
Then it dissapears. Then it reappears. Then is dissapears again.
- When Harry, Hermione, and Ron are talking about the exams and Harry's
scar burns - Hermione is carrying some sort of briefcase until Harry
realizes something about Hagrid (and Hagrid is playing a flute-ish thing).
They start running and Hermione's briefcase is gone!
- Trying to get the stone, the keys - Ron says "This complicates
things a bit", and Hermione is mouthing the words.