- An article / opinion sent in by 'Gumby'
Some of the differences between film and book (entries
are copied directly from entries by email to this page, please check your
english before you write!!)
Scenes from the book, not shown in film
- In the book dobby makes the bowl of pudding that was on top of the
refrigerator, levitate and then drops it after harry says that he will
go to hogwarts, it splatters everywhere. In the movie dobby makes a
cake that was on the table levitate. Harry follows it and the cake drops
on top of the lady that was sitting on the couch. The uncle and the
aunt see everything.
- In the movie harry wakes up all of the sudden (it didn't seem that
he was dreaming or anything) goes to the window and looks up at the
sky then he sees the car were ron is, get closer. In the book harry
wakes up from a bad dream and sees the twins already at the window.
- Another difference was that Professor Mcgonnagle told them about the
chamber. in the book it was Proffesor Binns.
- Just after everyone finds out Harry is a Parselmouth, Harry tells
Ron and Hermione that he once set a Python on his cousin when actually,
he set a Boa Constrictor on his cousin.
- In the Duelling Club scene, Proffessor Lockhart suggests that Harry
+ Ron practise first when in the book he suggests that Neville Longbottom
+ Justin Finch-Fletchly do it.
- In the movie, Nerville Longbottum feints in herbology class. In the
book, he does not
- When NH Nick is petrified, in the book, he is found lying on his back,
just a few inches off the floor. In the movie, he if floating upright
- In the beginning, where Dobby uses the hover charm to make the pudding
float, he makes it fall on the floor. Then and owl comes in and scares
Mrs. Mason. In the movie, Dobby just drops the pudding on her head,
and there is no owl.
- When harry turns up in knockturn alley he has to hide. Then he hears
lucius and draco talking with the owner and that's were he first sees
draco. In the movie harry sees draco for the first time at the book
- At the dueling club thingy, they totally missed details and the whole
chamber scene was messed up
- In the movie the sword just appears in the sorting hat and Harry grabs
it. He stabs the diary while he is still injured and after Ginny wakes
up and tells Harry everything Fawkes comes and heals Harry.
- In the book hes injured and dying and tom goes over to him and tells
him that he will finally see him die but then Fawkes comes and heals
Harry then Tom remember the whole phoenix deal and tells him that he
will kill Harry and so on.
- In the film Uncle Vernon fell out the dersleys window.In the book
- Hermione asks Professor Binns in the history of magic class about
the Chamber of Secrets. In the movie she asks Professor McGonagal in
- In the book, Peeves finds Harry with the petrified Sir Nicholas and
Justin. In the movie Filch finds them.
- In the movie when Harry comes out the chamber is face is dirty, but
when he is in Dumbuldores office his face is clean, but when he goes
out to give Lucius back the diary his face is dirty again.
- The movie shows Harry's detention with Lockhart, but not Ron's detention
polishing the trophies while he is still coughing up slugs. In the book
this was important because Ron remembered Tom Riddle's name from a cup
he was polishing.
- in the movie uncle vernon installs the bars on harry`s window.in the
book however,he hires someone to install thebars on harry`s window
- Harry is supposed to notice ron hair first in the book but it is the
other way around in the film.
- In the movie the scene with the Hogwart's Express chasing the car
is more dramatic. Harry almost falls out of the car. This doesn't happen
in the book.
- In the quidditch match, the movie adds more details. In the movie
Draco is also slightly injured in the match and has to go to the hospital
wing. This doesn't happen in the book. Harry catches the snitch right
away after seeing it my Draco. In the movie there is a big chase between
Harry and Draco for the snitch.
- In the book the entrance to Dumbledore's office was a statue of a
gargolye. In the movie it is an Eagle
- In the book, Tom riddle, when he takes harry in to his memory, takes
him into armando dippet's office first but in the movie, he takes him
to dumbledore directly
- The sorting hat has the same difference as in the first movie. In
the book Harry puts it on and it talks just to him, inside his ear.
- In the book, when Harry is about to open the chamber of secrets he
dosn't begin to talk in parseltongue right away. First it is english
and Ron says it's english, then, when he concentrates harder, he speaks
in parsel. In the movie, he speaks parsel right after discovering the
snake on the sink.
- In the movie, they didn't show how they got the ingredients to make
the Polyjuice potion. Whereas in the book, they stole some ingredients
from Snape's office using the invisibility cloak.
- In the book after Harry changes to Goyle, he takes off his glasses
right away because they coloud his vision as Goyle. In the movie he
leaves them on, Draco asks why Goyle is wearing glasses and Goyle answers
for reading. Draco says "I didn't know you can read."
- The movie does not explain that Hermione had to stay in the hospital
wing for several weeks from changing into a cat. The next time the movie
shows her, she is petrified.
- In the movie Harry and Ron follow the spiders from Hagrid's hut right
after Hagrid is taken away. In the book, Harry sees the spiders going
into the forest during class. Then sneaks out of the school again to
- In the book, spiders capture Harry and Ron and take them to Aragog.
In the movie they just walk up to Aragog.
- In the book Ginny tries to tell Harry and Ron about the attacks, but
Percy stops her.
- When Harry and Ron are in Lockharts office, in the book Harry uses
the disarming school to take Lockhart's wand. In the movie, they just
point their wands and Lockhart to threaten him and Lockhart gives up
- In the book...after Fawkes injures the basilisk's eyes, Tom Riddle
tells the serpent he can "still smell him." In the movie...Tom
instructs the serpent that he can still "hear him"...therefore
leading to the scene int he movie of Harry throwing the rock in the
tunnel to confuse the basilisk.
- In the movie Hermione explains to Hagrid and Harry what a "mud-blood"
is. In the book..Ron tells them both, in between burping up slugs.
- In the movie, the Dursleys let Harry keep all of his magical items
in his room, and when the Weasleys come to get him in the flying car,
everything is thrown in. In the book, the Dursleys lock up all of his
magic supplies in the cupboard and Fred/George have to go in and pick
the lock to retrieve Harry's stuff.
- In Chamber of Secrets the book, at the end scene in Dumbledore's office
where Dobby gives a hint to Harry that Lucious Malfoy gave Ginny the
diary, he keeps punching himself, and when Harry figures it out, he
starts twisting his ears. In the movie, he doesn't punish himself at
all. He just sort of mumbles and cocks his head at Lucious.
- In the book, Harry stuffed his sock over the book, and Lucious took
it off and threw it aside. In the movie, the sock is in the book, and
Dobby finds it.
- In the book, Dobby uses his powers to make Lucious fall down the stairs.
In the movie, he just sends him flying backwards a few feet.
- in the film the basislisk was 25 ft long whereas in the book it is
mentoined as a 80 ft long creature
- In the movie when harry potter saves ginny she tells him that it was
her that did it. In the book she is crying and it was really har for
her to talk about it.
- In the movie, Snape suggests to Lockhart that the students should
be taught to block unfriendly spells before performing them. In the
book, Lockhart has this idea.
- Near the end of the book, in Lockhart's office when Lockhart is about
to put a memory charm on Harry and Ron, Harry performs the expelliarmus
spell on him to stop him. In the movie, Lockhart gives up the idea after
turning around and seeing that both boys have their wands out and pointing
at him.There are speaking changes in here too!
- There are several differences between the movie and book in the scene
in Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, when Harry and Ron are trying to get Lockhart
to go into the Chamber of secrets. These include speaking changes and
blocking and movement changes.
- The whole scene where Lockhart lectures Harry outside his first herbology
lesson is not in the movie. This is a disappointment as it is one of
my favourite scenes!
- At the end of the credits in the movie, there is a short scene where
another Lockhart book is in the window of a book shop in Diagon Alley.
The book is called Who Am I?This scene is not included in the book.
- Two Lockhart lessons which were mentioned in the book were not in
- In the book, when the first attack is found, Lockhart offers his office
to Dumbledore so he can examine the cat and while Dumbledore is doing
so, Lockhart is showing off and making a big deal of why it was a pity
he wasn't there at the time of the attack. In the movie many of these
details are missed out!
- There is a scene with Lockhart, Harry and Ron when Lockhart is supposed
to be taking them to a lesson and Harry talks him into leaving them
to finish the trip so they can sneak off. This is not included in the
- There is a scene where Lockhart is talking to Professor McGonagall
about how he thought the attacks had stopped because the heir knew he
was at the school. This is not included in the movie.
- The whole Valentine morning scene was not included in the movie. Another
of my favourie scenes!
- In the movie when harry, ron,hermione, and draco had to serve detention
in the dark forest, neville wasn't with them like he was in the book,
also in the movie they left out the night duel harry and draco were
supposed to have, but draco never showed up.
- in the movie it is professorMcGonagoll who tells the students the
history of the chamber of secrets, while in the book it is Professor
Binns, the history of magic teacher who tells the history.
- Peeves is missing in both movies
- In the book they go de-gnoming at the burrow, in the movie they do
- They skip Sir Nicholas's deathday party were Harry and ron first meet
- They never show the part were harry gets the letter were he gets a
warning telling him that he is not allowed to use magic, and they skip
that whole thing were the uncle locks him up in his room and tells him
that he wont go to hogwarts and he can't use magic to escape.
- They never show how after they get out of the chamber they find Ron's
parents and Harry tells every one of his little adventure.
- Professor Lockhart's Valentine's Day party is missing.
- In the book it says that Harry Potter is supposed to have spiders
in the cupboard and it says in the book that Harry pulled a spider out
of his sock but none of this is shown in the film.
- The part where the Ravenclaw prefect, Penelope Clearwater is petrified
- In the book Justin Finch-Fletchly talks to Harry during Herbology
and tells him that his parents are both muggles. This was important
because when Harry talks to the snake during the duel people think this
was Harry's reasson for trying to kill Justin. This wasn't in the movie.
- The book has scenes where roosters are being killed because the crow
of the rooster is fatal to the basilisk. Later it shows that Ginny actually
killed the roosters. This is not shown at all in the movie.
- In the book Filch catches Harry tracking mud and takes harry to his
office. This is where Harry finds out Filch is a Squib. Later Filch
says this was why Harry tried to kill his cat. This is missing in the
- The movie does not show that Hermione had Prof. Lockhart sign so she
could get the book from the restricted section to make the polyjuice
potion. In the movie she just took the book.
- In the book there is a scene in potions class where Harry throws a
firecracker in the swelling solution to make a distraction so Hermione
can steal ingredients from Snape to make the polyjuice potion. The solution
splashes on people and they become disfigured. Missing from the movie.
- The scenes where Harry gets presents from Christmas and the Christmas
feast are missing in the movie.
- The movie does not show that Ron's father is fined for having the
- The movie does not show them choosing classes for their third year.
- The movie does not show that Ron and Harry get 200 points each and
Gryffindor wins the house cup.
- The movie does not show that Ginny reveals at the end Percy has a
- The movie does not show that Harry has to go back to the Dursley's
at the end.
- The beginning where Harry is sitting with the Durstleys at the breakfast
table and says "what's the magic word?" and everyone flips
- When Harry was in the garden and pretends to use magic to scare Dudley
and moments later sees a pair of eyes staring at him from a bush.
- At the burrow,when Harry looks into the mirror and it says "Tuck
in your shirt,scruffy!"
- All of the times Ginny was clumsy when Harry was around.
- The degnoming of the Weasley's garden.
- The self-filling sandwich plate in McGonnagall's office
- Everyone cheering Ron and Harry for their fancy and very unusual arival
at Hogwarts and then Hermione scolding them for it
- The constant anoyance and picture taking of Colin Creevey.
- The Valantines day bit from Ginny Weasley.
- Crabbe and goyle( harry and ron) r supposed to run into percy
- Moaning Myrtle being flushed down the toilet by someone other than
- The scene where Nearly Headless Nick is found paralized,along with
Seamas Finagin and Peaves sings "Oh Potter you rotter.....look
what you've done....you're killing off students.....and you think it's
good fun..." In fact,Peaves isn't shown in the movie at all.
- in the movie when Hagrid bursts into Dumbledores office to tell him
that Harry didnt petrify all of those people and he is holding the rooster
he dosent explain that the roosters have been strangled and nothing
in the movie tells anything about the roosters cry being fatal to the
- The scene in the book store where Mr Weasley gets into a fight with
The scene where Harry and Ron are caught in the hall by McGonnagall
and she asks them where they're going and they say to see Hermione.(This
causes McGonnagal to get a little misty eyed)
- Percy catching Ron going into Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.
- Nearly Headless Nick talking to Harry about the headless hunt.
- u never see harry ron ginny lockhart coming out of the chamber covered
- The scene where Ron and Harry are looking around for the enrtance
to the Slytherin common room and they see Penelepe (the prefect from
Ravenclaw) and ask her something about Slytherin and she tells them
she's from Ravenclaw and that they're stupid for not noticing.
- When they follow Draco into the Slytherin common room and he says
- The scene where he sees Cho for the first time.
- Harry's first attempt at using floo powder took him to Nocturne Alley,into
a shop that sells muggle items.In the book it says he hides in a cupboard
and listens in on a conversation between the man who runs the shop and
- In the scene where they take Ron to Hagrid's house because he's puking
up slugs,there is an awkward bit where they avoide Lockheart because
he's there and they don't want him to see them.Hermione thinks otherwise,but
helps them anyway.This does not occur at all in the movie.
- In the book when Ron was puking up slugs,it states that he pukes up
lots of them at a time and they are small.In the movie,however,he pukes
them up one at a time and they are giant.
- Durring DADA class it states that Lockheart does alot of bragging
about himself and even gives a few assignments on the subject.This is
- The scene where Hermione brown noses Lockheart into signing a permission
notice for them to go into the restricted section of the library and
check out a book about pollyjuice potions was cut from the movie.That
should not have happened!
- It never shows Hermione breaking into Professor Snape's office and
stealing ingredints for the pollyjuice potion,nor does it show where
he mentions it.This also should not have happened!
- Ron's punishment for using the flying car to get to Hogwarts was detention.This
was spent polishing the trophies in the trophy room.This is where he
came across the name "Tom Riddle".This is not shown,or even
mentioned in the movie.
- Harry's first quiddich practice of the seccond year is a big scene
in the book.JK made a huge deal out of it,however it has been cut from
the movie,along with being followed around and repeatedly photographed
by Colin Creevey.
- There is a scene where Lockheart makes a huge fuss over harry and
tries to get him to take a picture with him.He later tried to get him
to sign it.This was somehow broadcast and it became a big deal of nothing
that annoyed Harry for a long time.This was cut out,though.
- They dont do prof lockhearts test which Hermione got full marks
- When Lucius reach Hagrid's house, he sais something like: "I've
phoned Hogwards and was told that the Director would be here."
But he just CAN'T have phoned, because telephone is a muggle artefact,
and don't work in the grounds of Hogwarts.
Scenes from the film, not shown in book
- In the Film 2 hermione does magic in diagon alley when Harry has smashed
- in the movie Lucius says Avada to begin his spell to kill harry, then
dobby interrupts him and performs magic on him to make him "not
hurt harry potter"
- As Harry and Ron are in the car to get to Hogwarts, the lose the train
and just about get hit. However in the book, the didn't not lose the
train and almost get hit.
Other types of differences
- In the movie Hermione runs towards Harry hugs him and is about to
hug Ron but backs off and gives him a hand shake oh and all around the
movie we see Ron getting worried about harmoine and defending her.
- They did NOT shoot the Death Day party or when they were at Rons and
de- gnomed the garden!
- Professor Binns, the ghost professor, is missing from both movies.
- My biggest complaint (aside from the over-Hollywood-ized melodrama
and pointless action sequences) is that, in one movie scene, Dumbledore
makes a point of saying, "Help will always be given at Hogwarts
to anyone who asks for it." Same line as in the book. Later in
the movie, when Harry is in the chamber with Riddle, the Gryffindor
sword just... appears... out of the sorting hat. Please. In the book,
after Fawkes brings the hat to him, Harry puts it on and desperately
asks, "Help me, please help me." He actually asks for help
a few times in the book, but *never once* asks for help in the movie.
- When Dobby dropped petunia cake
1. it was on the refrigerator and it smashed on the floor
2. the letter from the ministry saying that harry had done underaged
magic didn't came which caused Mrs Maison to run out of the house screaming
because it came by owl post.
3. Mr Durley when he goes upstair to tell harry off for Dobby making
too much noise he is meant to say to the maisons " young tike Dudley
must have left his t.v on.
- After all the credits have run (You'll have to wait a long time; they
honor everyone from J.K. Rowling and Richard Harris all the way down
to the foley artists and key grips), the film makers throw in a little
extra scene. We see Diagon Alley, and there's a new book in the window
of the bookstore: "Who am I?" by Gilderoy Lockhart. The cover
photo shows Lockhart in a straightjacket with a dumb and vacant stare
on his face.
- In the movie during the filming emma( hermione) broke her wrist and
when she is giving the polyjuice potion to ron and harry, when she lifts
her arm you can see part of her cast that was supposed to have been
covered by her robe.
- At the end of the movie, Dumbledore says that Harry Potter possesses
many of the talents Voldemort himself valued. He meant to say Salazar
- Height diffrences are bigger in the beginning
- Harry's glasses go from being too small to fitting
- If the basilisc killed by looking people directly in the eye, why
did moaning murtle died if she wears glasses?!?!?! She couldn't be looking
directly if her glases were on like th book says....
- When Harry and Ron are hidden under the invisibility cloak, Lucius
Malfoy gets in Hagrid's House saying that he called hogwarts and they
told him that the headmaster was there. But how can he have called Hogwarts
if There aren't telephones in the Wizard's world?
- All the spiders ( except Aragogue) Have 9 "legs". The real
spiders have 8 instead...
- ginnys eyes in the movie are blue
- After he comes out of the wet chamber the sock he gave to Dobby was
- in the movie the basilisk has many teeth where as in the book it only
has two gigantic fangs, and when one of the fangs sinks into Harrys
arm, he removes a fang from it but there is no fang missing from the
- at the end when Dumbledore, Hayy and Lucius are in Dumbledore's office,
you can see part of Lucius' real brown hair
- Some of the differences I've found are: As Harry walks into his room,
his hair is flat. They cut to Dobby and return to Harry, but now his
hair is messy.
- During the filming, Emma Watson broke her wrist. In the trailer, (credits)
you can see the cast sticking out of her robes. (From Deanne Toomer)
- In the first comparison of the movie and the book of the chamber of
secrets it says that Dobby dropped a cake onto lady, but in England
pudding is sometimes in a form similar to cake,
- it was a pudding dropped on the woman in the movie, not a cake, they
even mentioned that Harry droped a pudding on her.
- The "Snake" in the film has EARS! (snakes DON'T have ears!)
- (you will only understand this if you have seen the deleted scenses
if you notice, in one of the deleted scenes, harry(radcliffe) and hagrid(coltrane)
are in a subway. harry is reading off his school supplies, he runs into
dragonhide gloves. he asked if the were really from a dragon , and hagrid
said that it's not from a penquin(funny) then says that he'd like a
later in the movie(in the film, not the deleted scenes) after harry,
hermione and ron are coming back from seeing norbert. harry says "hagrids
always wanted a dragon, told me first time i ever met him"! so
that part only makes sence if that deleted scene is n the movie